Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Fun Challenge

I like doing the challenges at ScrapMatters; they get me doing things a little differently than I would be doing normally. Take this layout, for example, that I did for a "roadmap to scrap" (a formula challenge):



credits:

papers from DigiScrap Addicts grand opening contest kit

Glitzy Spills and Thrills by Britt-ish Designs

Word Circles (recolored) by Britt-ish Designs

scalloped frame altered from Beautiful Mess by Elizabeth Quintana

stars from Teacher's Pet by Bren Boone Designs


The first thing about this layout you probably notice is the colors: the instructions said to use at least four rainbow colors with the embellishments (so, four in addition to any neutrals ... well, and pink, but that's rarely a problem for me, scrapping my boys!). When I was imagining the colors I'd use for the layout with these pictures, I'd seen something very orange in my mind. I'm glad I went with the colorful one instead; it creates a whole different vibe for this page!

The directions said to use scallops, so I pulled out some scalloped frames from my stash. I never use frames, and I never use frames skewed from the picture. And I LOVE how it looks! I should do this more often.

I used wordart, as per the instructions. I hardly ever use wordart. But somehow, this simple wordart seemed to sum up just what I wanted to say ... and so I refrained from journaling beyond just the bare essentials (obviously, as a history major, I can't not date my pages!). I even refrained from titling, unless you count the wordart as a title. (And yes, this is so unlike me.)

I thought I was finished, but then I saw that the instructions said to use an element at least five times. I found some stars that kind of (kind of) matched the doodly feel of the background paper and arranged them on my page. And now I can't imagine how I thought the layout was finished without them.

So -- try a challenge (and there are a lot of them out there) ... they'll really freshen up your scrapping!

1 comment:

Amy said...

That sounds like a good reason to do challenges. It sure adds variety to your scrapping, which is fun to see! Did you paint on the colors around the edges? The color combo looks really good and I love the splatters!