Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Coinciding of Transfers

My sister-in-law Julianne just got transferred to a new area out in England yesterday -- just as I'm just about to her first area in her album. Only, what, four or five more to go? (Yikes, this is a huge project!)

So here are the latest pages.

---

Not my favorite page. Is it the colors? I played with it for awhile and improved on it but don't love it. But not every page is meant to be loved. It's fine enough, I decided.



In the Neighborhood by Casey Krause
Dirty Boy alpha by Misty Cato
fonts are Elise and American Typewriter


---

A tricky page because I tried to make it meet some guidelines for a formula challenge over at ScrapMatters. This took me entirely too long considering there are so few pictures on the page (yes, for the purpose of this album, I've decided that that's "few").

The page started out with just three pictures, though, and it looked a lot better ... but then I realized I'd forgotten the picture of the decorated white board. Stylistically it looks kind of weird to have it there (I tried to balance it out with the journaling tag, but I know -- it doesn't quite work), but I thought that pictures should take precedence over art.

I do love this kit, though. I'm glad to have an excuse to use it.



Stars and Stripes Forever by Chelle's Creations, WM[squared], and Designs by Tater
Saturday Special journaling tags by Chelle's Creations (freebie in the ScrapMatters store)
Teeny Tiny Christmas Alpha by Britt-ish Designs
fonts are Blackjack and American Typewriter


---

I took a break from scrapping over the weekend; I felt mildly frustrated that I wasn't "getting anything done" but it was rejuvenating, too.

Monday I sat down and cranked this out -- it one came together so fast, and without a template, too! I LOVE it! It's my favorite from this batch. I was so proud of myself for telling two stories on one page without it looking silly. And I learned a new Photoshop technique, too (I love the Saturday Special over at ScrapMatters). YAY. Love this page (did I say that already??).



Birds of a Feather mini and Birds of a Feather add-on by WM [squared] designs
Garden District bonus alpha by Pineapple Plantation Designs and Misty Cato
fonts are Everytime I Miss You and American Typewriter


---

I was on such a high from the last page that I made the mistake of starting this one right away. Well, I guess my mistake actually was doing it in conjunction with that silly formula challenge at ScrapMatters. You see, some of the instructions really threw me for a loop ...

Use a template with an odd number of photos (it's Yin to the rescue!). Use shapes that aren't circles, rectangles or squares (I toyed with this instruction for forever and finally settled on the flower-shaped button). Use ribbons and staples and buttons and tags (played around with ALL KINDS OF STUFF for FOREVER). Turn something upside-down (which is why my title is weird. It's interesting but I know people are going to look at it and go, huh?? Don't blame them.). Use blue (this really doesn't work with my color scheme, but I finally decided that navy would not look too distracting. Stacy and Clinton say navy would go with anything. Right? Right??)

By this point, I was most definitely off my "scrapping high" and ready to just forget the challenge altogether. But I'd come so far ... and there was just one more instruction to go: shrink EVERYTHING (except the background) 10%. Well, I did it and it looked terrible. So I tried 5% and it looked slightly better, but I still had to play around with my elements for another fifteen minutes. I may or may not be disqualified since I didn't shrink it as much as I was supposed to, but yeah, whatever.

Now I really do like this layout; don't get me wrong. Fun colors and pictures and whatnot. But it was NOT worth spending an entire afternoon on.

Also: I hope I got enough of the pictures on here. I know -- there's NINE pictures on one page -- but she took a ZILLION. I felt bad leaving so many out!



Template 56 by Yin Designs
Family Ties blog freebie by Jeni Hopewell
tag and ricrac from Sense of Adventure add-on by Happy Scrap Girl
red button from Button It Up! sampler pack by Sarah Morgan Designs
green flower button from Mint Chocolate Chip freebie by Haynay Designs
staple from Sunshine in My Soul by Britt-ish Designs
Iron Alpha by Elegant WordArt by Bethany
fonts are smiley monster and American Typewriter


---

You'd think I'd want to stop scrapping after that, but I was determined to finish my scrapping on a good note for the day. I whipped up a layout as quickly as I could, with no thought to whether it would satisfy a challenge. It doesn't, and I don't care. It came together in thirty minutes.

I didn't think I really liked it all that much, but this morning when I was looking through the gallery, it caught my eye -- cool multiphoto layout; I like the colors and design, I thought as I clicked on the thumbnail -- and then I realized it was mine. Haha! Well, I'm glad I like it!



Love Lives template (altered) by Fei-fei's stuff
Bursting with Joy: Fall paper pack by Britt-ish Designs
embroidered monogram alpha by Danielle Young
fonts are Blackjack, An Accidental Kiss, and American Typewriter


---

Now here's simplicity at its finest. I used just a plain black background, simple fonts, and even blocking style. This is the best way to get a TON of photos on the page, I've found -- and a bonus: it's quick.

This actually does satisfy a challenge: to use a haiku in your layout. Never tried it before; I like it here.



Sparkle and Shine by Jennifer Barrette
Doodletime by Tracie Stroud
fonts: Arial and American Typewriter


---

The count for her album is at 22 layouts now. Originally I thought I'd shoot for 100 or so, to fill up a Winkflash book. Now I'm not sure whether it will fit in one book. :-P But seriously ... more than 100 pages? I'd better not think about it!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow--are you ready for a novel of a comment?

On the first LO I like the blue you used and how the title looks on the cloud. I LOVE the scalloped edges and the light yellow vines going down next to it. That looks really cool! And it helps me (A LOT) to realize that other people don't like every single one of their LOs. It's okay. Part of life, I guess...maybe if I keep that in mind I can scrap a little faster.

LO#2 YES! I love this kit, too--and she's not even selling it anymore, darn it. Oh, well. I spent my fair share at the sale anyway...I love the title work on this one--that Christmas alpha is a great one. I also loved the label, too. I never would have noticed that white board picture didn't fit! Because of the squarish patch of white next to it, it feels balance to me!

LO#3 I really like this one, too. The colors are great and I love how it's organized!

LO#4 I REALLY like this one! I love the diamond paper in the background and how you did the title is just fabulous. Love hearing the story behind it. I definitely know how it is to agonize and take WAY too much time on one thing.

LO#5 LOL! That's funny you saw it in the gallery and liked it w/o realizing it was yours! I LOVE how you put the picture in the house. That really makes this one stand out and be special.

LO#6 What a great idea! I LOVE the thought of having a bunch of pictures of people from one area on one page. I'm sure when she sees that page she is going to feel lots of love and tons of memories. Your haiku is great, too. Perfect for this page!

WOW! 22 layouts is a lot!! How many months of her mission does that represent?