Thursday, April 16, 2009

Good News and Two Layouts

What to do when the kids are sick? Scrap, of course! And then blog about scrapping!!

First of all, I was cruising around DigiScrapAddicts the other day when I noticed this thread in their April Scrap-Off. Mostly you enter your own layouts into each category (there's about a zillion categories), but there is one category -- People's Choice -- where scrappers can nominate their favorite layouts by others ... and Reeka Jean (a regular over there and at Scrap Orchard) picked my layout Lucky Charms as their favorite! I'm shocked and incredibly flattered because that gallery over there moves fast and there are a lot of really talented scrappers ... and a lot of their standouts just don't scrap in my style. I figured there was no way I would even get a nomination, but now I can't help getting a little starry-eyed about the prize: $20 gift certificate to Misty Cato! Love her stuff. (But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up.)

A couple days ago (or was it just yesterday?) I scraplifted a layout ... it's been awhile since I did that. I read a tip somewhere that makes scraplifting a cinch: download the image your lifting, then drag it onto your layer and turn the opacity waaay down; then you can place your photos and elements exactly where they need to go. (Did that make sense?)

So. Check out shutch's original here ...

... and then come back and take a look at how I lifted it:



credits:

Love Life by sahlin studio (ScrapMatters Design Contest round 4)

My Ribbon Jar by Britt-ish Designs

Plain 'n Distressed alpha; designs by Sarah

fonts are American Typewriter and Susie's Hand


Since I didn't have to worry a whit about composition, I had time to play with the kit ... the blue doodly flower was originally just stamped on a paper, but I pulled it off with the Magic Wand; then I made my own frame from one of the papers, using the burn edges to grunge it up just a little (thanks for that tip, Amy).

And one more thing -- I love this freebie kit by sahlin studios done for the Design Star contest at ScrapMatters. I used it on my last layout, too, and I decided yesterday that I ought to use the color palette as inspiration for the colors in my bedroom. (Now I just need some bravery ... I have yet to paint anything in this house, or even hang many pictures.)

Okay, one last layout ... and I love this one. I'm channeling some Yin Designs here, I think. ;-) It's kind of empowering to do it without a template.



credits:

Blast Off collab by GingerScraps Designers (WyldWeb Designs, Spinky Dink Scraps, Graham Like the Cracker, Plum Dumpling Designs) ... this was a blog train from a few weeks ago

Date It Tags by Golden Girls

Peel and Stick Alpha by Misty Cato

Ransom Alpha by Bren Boone

Font is Pea Johanna

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congrats about being nominated! That is really exciting! And I agree your Lucky Charms LO is so fun to look at. I hope you win. Misty Cato DOES have some good stuff. I love her Peel and Stick Alpha you used on your 2nd LO.

What a GREAT tip to scraplift. BRILLIANT!! I'll totally be using that one.

I love the color palate of your first LO, too. Red and blue together are awesome. That picture of Logan is GREAT. He looks so full of fun and energy and love of life! Great lay-out.

The 2nd one is fun, too. I love all the little details and elements that you used. Looks like a fun place to go, too.

Hooray for days you get to scrapbook, although I do hope your boys get feeling better soon...